Universal basic income
I believe that a universal basic income would be highly advantageous to human society. It gives people the freedom to do what they want with their lives and not be slaves in some corporation. And freedom I think nurtures innovation which drives development in society.
Universal basic income also gives people security. If you lose your job for whatever reason and can't find a new one immediately you don't end up on street, where no one wants to be. You can keep your house indefinitely until you find something else to do.
You may say that people should be forced to contribute. That universal basic income allows laziness and not contributing to society. I say the opposite. Universal basic income allows people to contribute, in whatever way they want. You can do good things without earning money. Vincent Van Gogh is an example. He is one of the most renowned painters but didn't earn a single dime during his lifetime. Doctors are another example. You may not want to charge people for your services when you are a doctor. Today's solution are taxes that in turn go to doctors, so we pay them collectively. I say that a universal basic income could be a solution too, paying everyone at the same time.
You may still say, that people could get lazy and not contribute. Well, in the end I think that such behavior should be allowed. Everyone can want to take a break sometimes. We call it vacation. I think that working is very natural, as natural as eating or sleeping, and that most people will choose to work. The pros of universal basic income far outweigh the cons in my opinion.
The universal basic income can be implemented little by little, to see the effects of it. Start with say, 200 dollars a month for four years. If everything works out, then increase to 500 dollars and so on. If there are no major ill effects it could settle at around 2000 dollars per month, as that is a level where you can live comfortably and afford everything that you want.
I also think that a universal basic income can eliminate other taxes, making the system more simple and efficient. If doctors can support them-selves on the universal basic income why pay them extra with other taxes. It is also possible that doctors can charge their services since it is reasonable to expect that everyone could afford it.
Kommentarer
Skicka en kommentar